Last September, Savannah and I spotted this brassy hussy in a yard sale, and we slammed on brakes, leapt from the car and snatched her up for $20. She was speckled with most of her bulbs, candle shades which we already made into ghosts and snowmen, and crumbling candle sleeves, but we had plans.
So home she came, languishing in storage while we did our holiday thing.
Sunday was the day.
First, test the electrical to ensure your twelve armed throw back works. Then, swathe all wiring in plastic wrap.
Once that's done, haul her outside...
...to your fancy sideyard work bench.
Primer. No skipping.
I used 2 light coats.
No drips or runs.
Once the first coat dries, flip her over and keep going until there's not a shiny bit of brass in sight. Let this dry for an hour.
Now break out your bead stash and some fishing line and let's get to work.
And angel fish.
And oooooooooo sparkly!
Fashion some drops using THIS basic method to tie to the arms...
...and secure the ends with office clips.
This is a 12 arm chandelier, so I made 6 elaborate drops and one continuous chain with 6 more drops.
Meanwhile, Savannah measured the circumference and height of the candle sleeves.
She transferred the dimensions onto card stock and cut 12 squares.
Using one of the candle sleeves as a guide...
...she rolled the cardstock around it...
...and secured it with tape.
Take a minute in here to go spray the chandelier down with 3 light coats of gloss white.
She then cut slightly larger squares of scrap booking paper in a water pattern...
...and using homemade decoupage medium...
...well, she decoupaged the paper onto the new candle sleeves, tucking the raw edges in.
Bring the chandelier inside and hang it from a curtain rod to assemble.
Now, identify a truly hideous light fixture in your home that makes you cringe in horror each time it illuminates and remove it.
Cuz this is MUCH better.
So much better
However, now that I'm looking up, I'm reminded that the painting needs to get finished...